So, knowing how to clean a jute rug and what the best vacuum cleaner will be for it, is crucial. While jute is gorgeous, characteristic and great to look at, it does shed profusely.
Using the wrong vacuum can cause more damage than it will clean. But, if you take care of a jute rug the right way, it will last for decades.
No products found.
For a stylish, Eco-friendly and all-natural rug, jute is a fantastic option. It gives an earthy feel to a room, whether a bedroom or a living room. It’s soft, durable and relatively easy to maintain.
Dirt doesn’t cling to it in the same way as regular ones do.
Can you vacuum a jute rug?
Yes, you can vacuum a jute rug. There’s just a little more meticulousness involved. You can’t use an older vacuum with poor moving parts. This is because it can damage the rug and cause more shedding than it already does.
The only caveat with using a vacuum is that you should avoid using bristles against the surface, this will cause more shedding. Pure suction is best.
How do you clean and vacuum a jute rug?
Vacuuming a jute rug isn’t too different from cleaning a regular one. Consider the following tips, tricks and techniques below.
For regular vacuuming, simply run the machine over the rug as you would a normal one. But, flip it over and vacuum the underside along with one more time over the top. One thing you want to ensure with vacuuming is that the cord and other components won’t rub, nick or bump into the jute.
So, be mindful of where you plug the vacuum in and pay attention to the cord during cleaning. Also, don’t be sloppy and fast when cleaning jute. You must be deliberate and observe everything that occurs.
About Messes ; Spills
In the event messes and spills occur, clean them up the moment they happen. Because of the fibers, anything like pet urine or red wine will not come out well later on. Also, jute rugs shouldn’t sustain too much moisture either. This will not only leave a stain, but it will weaken the fibers and can result in bacteria or mold buildup.
Always blot spills with a clean, dry and absorbent cloth the moment a spill happens. Pick up any pieces or chunks associated with the spill. Then, ensure you soak up every last bit of moisture as you possibly can.
Work your way in toward the center by starting on the outside of the circumference of the stain. This way, you’ll be able to concentrate it in one area while preventing it from spreading out.
If the stain is serious, like chocolate or wine, use a mild soap with lukewarm water and press a non-abrasive sponge onto the surface. Dry it again with more toweling. You may have to repeat this process several times until the stain disappears.
Do jute rugs ever stop shedding?
Unfortunately, jute rugs never stop shedding. It’s in their nature to shed. That said, there are some models and manufacturers that boast a particular method during production that may reduce the shedding, but they will still shed.
This is because of the dry plant fibers that comprise a jute rug. While these are strong, sturdy and durable, they are organic material that becomes drier with time and use. Therefore, the older a jute rug is, the more it will shed.
How often should you vacuum a jute rug?
You should vacuum a jute rug regularly. This will depend on how much foot traffic it experiences. Vacuuming at least twice per week for minimal traffic should be sufficient. However, if it’s the runner by the entryway, then every day will be essential.
How do you select the right vacuum cleaner for a jute rug?
Before getting into the picks of the five best vacuums available, it’s important to discuss what to look for in a vacuum best appropriate for this special material. Because jute is so unlike many other carpets, it can easily shed. Therefore, if you don’t have the right vacuum for the job, it will destroy the rug’s fibers.
- Corded or Cordless: Because cords have the potential to rub against jute, it may be a good idea to find a model that is cordless. However, many of the cordless types don’t hold a charge well or have good suction.
- Weight: A vacuum for a jute rug shouldn’t be heavy or weighty. It should be 12 lbs or less; less is better. This will allow for better control of the machine over something like jute.
- Brush Rolls: Almost all vacuums come equipped with a brush roll as the main means of picking up dust and dirt from surfaces. Ensure the bristles are soft and gentle enough to use on jute. Anything that comprises metal or hard plastic will destroy the rug.
- Swiveling Head: If your rug has furniture sitting on it, a swivel head will be best to get into narrow spaces with ease.
The Five Best Vacuum Cleaners for a Jute Rug
1. Dirt Devil Vibe SD20020
This 3-in-1 vacuum by Dirt Devil is a classic handheld machine that’s portable and is the lightest of all the ones featured here. It weighs a mere 3.4 lbs. There are no bags required and its stick design makes it easy to use, especially over jute. This makes the whole cleaning process mess-free.
Although there’s a brush roll, you can shut this off for use on your jute rug. You can detach the nozzle and neck to convert it into a handheld vacuum. This is invaluable for more fragile situations in cleanup emergencies on jute. It has a 10 inch nozzle that helps provide a path for fast vacuuming and comes with a scatter guard.
- Easy to shutoff brush roll function for the ultimate in safety on a jute rug.
- Converts into a handheld device for delicate cleaning.
- Super light and simple to use.
- Handle slips out unexpectedly.
- Poor suction for pet hair.
2. Shark DuoClean ZS362
One of the most highly adaptive vacuums for a jute rug is the machine by Shark, the APEX DuoClean. You can clean hard floors, carpets and jute rugs as well as furniture, beds and other upholstery. What’s great is that it converts into a handheld device. This means you can use it when a delicate touch is necessary.
Its stick design and 30-foot cord means you can use it anywhere you need. This vacuum sucks up pet hair like a dream and has a self-cleaning mode. It has LED lights too which provide greater visibility in more shaded, darker spots.
The whole machine is incredibly lightweight, only weighing a total of 10 lbs. It’s very easy to use with state-of-the-art engineering for the best experience in cleaning.
- Provides a deep, strong clean over jute rugs.
- Picks up pet hair with great ease.
- Lightweight and portable; you can use it as a handheld device.
- Defects can begin to appear after only a few months of use.
- It’s top-heavy and doesn’t stand upright on its own.
No products found.
3. BISSELL All in One 1785A
The Crosswave by BISSELL provides total suction from various messes that a jute rug can sustain. Its body is lightweight, weighing only 11½ lbs, with superior suction. It’s has a 25-foot cord and yet this vacuum is also very power efficient. It has a low amperage, 4.4.
BISSELL’s Crosswave is multipurpose and can clean a wide variety of surfaces. It has a wet-dry function that’s good on your kitchen floor, carpeting and jute rugs. But, avoid using the wet on your jute rug. If you do, be sparing and deliberate while observing minimal moisture.
While it’s not advisable to have a vacuum that uses a brush, the bristles on BISSELL’s Crosswave are durable yet soft enough to prevent shedding. Plus, it’s powerful enough to not have to make many passes over the rug.
- Lightweight and powerful, it’s good for jute rugs.
- Brush bristles are soft enough to use on jute.
- Works beautifully on pet messes.
- Ball bearings in the vacuum can sustain moisture damage, which can transfer to jute.
- Clogs easily.
No products found.
4. Oreck Swivel-Steering Vacuum LW1500RS
Oreck is a long-standing brand, trusted by many people. They have a history of engineering excellence with home appliances, particularly vacuum cleaners. Their Swivel-Steering Upright model matches up their reputation. It provides a good, deep clean for your jute rugs as well as regular carpeting and hard flooring.
It has strong enough suction to pick up even the most miniscule dust particles while being gentle enough on jute. It has five layers of HEPA filters, so any dust or debris will disappear indefinitely. It weighs less than eight pounds, is easy to use and has an auto shutoff function.
- Gorgeous swivel design is slim and sleek, allowing for cleaning of hard-to-reach spots.
- 5-layer HEPA filter.
- Lightweight and simple to use.
- Sometimes completely stops working after only a few months of use.
- Doesn’t clean all surfaces as advertised.
No products found.
5. Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum
For a sure soft and gentle vacuum for your jute rug, Soniclean’s Soft Carpet Vacuum Cleaner is a good value. The handle is nice and long which gives you a far reach. This is handy in preventing anything else from bumping or rubbing onto the surface of a jute rug.
Its modern and sleek design incorporates their signature sonic carpet cleaning system. This will ensure your jute is clean while keeping it intact. It has a high frequency of 200 vibrations per second, which gentle shakes away dirt and debris while sucking it up and away forever.
It also has a specialized vent system that is very appropriate for jute; especially thicker ones.
- Signature sonic carpet cleaning technology removes dirt and grime with gentle vibration.
- Ultra soft brush bristles which make it safe to use on jute.
- Adjustable ventilation system is better for thick rugs, like jute.
- It seems to die only after a few months of use.
- Tends to drag on delicate carpets.
- The plastic that encompasses the machine is cheap and easily breakable.
Cleaning a jute rug is fairly simple and self-explanatory once you get your regimen and routine down.
While the fibers are beautiful and provide an earthy feel to any room, they do shed quite often. But, you want to be careful, delicate and deliberate in the way you clean it; even with regular, basic vacuuming.
We hope that you can now make a decision for your best vacuum cleaner for jute rug cleaning and if you have any other queries please let us know!