In a Hurry? Our Top 4 Best Choices:
- Best Affordable – Tineco A10 Hero Vacuum Cleaner Cordless
- Best For Pet hair – Shark Lift - Away Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Best For Battery Life – Gtech AirRam Mk2 K9 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
- Best Complete Package – Dyson V10
Models reviewed below:
There are quite a few lightweight vacuum cleaners for the elderly available to buy online, these vacuums are mainly for spot cleaning around your home and make for quick cleaning, another main aspect of these vacuums is they can be cordless which is a bonus, making them safe to use and nothing to trip over.
In this article we will go through some light-weight vacuum cleaner options and the key benefits to why these vacuums are especially easier to use for older people.
Top 10 best Lightweight Vacuum Cleaners for the Elderly
Gtech Mk2 AirRam Cordless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The GTECH MK2 Air Ram is cordless, making it easy and quick to vacuum around the home, with a robust, sturdy ergonomic hand grip, this benefits elderly people as it is very easy to hold and push/pull, furthermore, it comes with a 22 volt lithium ion battery which gives you up to a 45 minute run time with each full charge so it gives you enough vacuuming time especially if you’re not as quick around the house as you used to be, ultimately this vacuum is lightweight, holds a long enough charge and provides a great solution when looking for a lightweight vacuum cleaner(s) for the elderly. The Gtech AirRam MK2 is built on a lightweight design so if you do go for this vacuum cleaner, you know for sure that it was built for your needs.
The Gtech AirRam MK2 comes in at 3.2 kilograms (kg) in weight.
- AirRam’s cordless technology means no more fighting with snagged cords or plug sockets
- Professional grade 22V Lithium-ion battery
- Move effortlessly from carpet to hard-floors and back again, with no settings to change
- Edge cleaning technology helps you get into those awkward corners
Gtech AirRam Mk2 K9 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Built on the Gtech MK2 AirRam platform it shares the same cordless lightweight design with a nice ergonomic grip handle making it ideal for an elderly relative or for yourself to use around the house, another good benefit is the automatic brush adjustment whilst vacuuming carpet to other types of floor, no manual adjustments are needed! No bending down or changing brushes, a single brush does it all for all flooring.
The battery is a 22 volt lithium ion which is also the same as the AirRam MK2 thus allowing upto a 45 minute vacuuming time which is a lot of time to be hoovering and with our testing, should be enough battery to vacuum your entire house.
- AirRam's cordless technology means no more fighting with snagged cords or plug sockets
- Professional grade 22V Lithium-ion battery
- Move effortlessly from carpet to hard-floors and back again, with no settings to change
- Edge cleaning technology helps you get into those awkward corners
Related Article: Best Vacuum For Arthritis Sufferers
Best Light weight vacuum cleaners for the elderly with Pets?
Look no further, the Gtech AirRam MK2 K9 vacuum cleaner was produced to combat pet hair and odour and the best thing about this is there isn’t any setting that needs to be changed, the pet hair setting is built directly into the vacuum itself from the hose to the brush.
The Gtech AirRam MK2 K9 also weighs 3.2 kilograms (kg) with the added benefit for easy pet hair cleaning, this would be the best vacuum fir any elderly person if they also have a pet in the home.
Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute
The Dyson Cyclone V10 Handheld Absolute is Dysons 2019 release but there’s nothing wrong with this lightweight vacuum cleaner other than being £100 less than the newer 2020 model the V11 nonetheless, the Dyson Cyclone V10 is a super lightweight vacuum cleaner for the elderly with a push trigger type of button (the button needs to be held in to keep the vacuum on), this may prove to be a little tedious/uncomfortable for elderly people to hold down but it is very easy to press, there’s little to no effort require.
Is the Dyson V10 Absolute the best lightweight hoover cleaner for the elderly?
In our opinion, the Dyson V10 Absolute is a very good contender to be one of the best lightweight vacuum cleaners of all time, but still, the Gtech AirRam MK2 has a slight advantage due to the ergonomic handle it has but in terms of suction and performance, the Dyson outperforms the Gtech hands down…
To add… the Dyson V10 Absolute comes with the complete accessory pack, every single attachment is included when you buy this vacuum, this is the reason the word “Absolute” is added to the model, the Absolute is the highest package you can buy for this vacuum therefore you get the complete package, so comparing this vacuum with the Gtech AirRam MK2, you would be getting a complete house cleaning solution.
The Dyson V10 Absolute weighs in at 2.67 kilograms (kg) making this vacuum lighter than the Gtech AirRam MK2 and a solid contender.
- Item height: 49.17 inches
- Item width: 49.17 inches
- Wattage: 49.17 inches
Why Should You Look for a lighter vacuum?
There is a need for these types of vacuum cleaners and as, well lets face it everyone gets old, a lightweight cleaning vacuum would benefit everyone as it takes a little out of the workload of cleaning and if a vacuum weighs less and is cordless, efficient, this can make the entire process much simpler. All vacuum manufactures make lightweight vacuum cleaners for this reason which just shows that there is a need for them.
Hoover H-FREE 200 3in1 Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner, HF222RH
We all know and have seen the vacuum brand “Hoover”, this brand is very well established within the UK and this particular model boasts to be lightweight, Agile and powerful, it comes with a 22 volt battery which supports up to 20 minutes use as a stick vacuum or 40 minutes use when using it as a handheld vacuum, this vacuum is a 3 in 1 model which enables you to have the ease of an upright vacuum cleaner as well as remove the stick and using it as a complete handheld unit without any power loss.
This vacuum is the lightest of the bunch but being so lightweight does have its drawbacks, the battery is very powerful but it is also smaller, this is why you will get roughly 20 minutes of runtime with a full charge, this doesn’t mean you sacrifice suction power though but if you’re looking for a very light weight vacuum cleaner, there must be compromises, besides this, the price of this vacuum is much less than the others…
The real benefit to this vacuum is the removable battery, you can purchase an additional battery for this vacuum so you can have two fully charged batteries and replace one when its empty with a fresh charged battery, you can have one charging whilst using the other, most other battery powered vacuums have the batteries inbuilt so it can be a little frustrating if the battery dies and needs to be charged for 2 hours leaving the cleaning half finished! This would be something to think about if this model is best suited to you , the price is low enough compared to the other models that you should be able to afford to purchase another spare battery too.
The Hoover H-FREE 200 weights 2.3 kilograms (kg) which is the lightest so far!
- Converts to Handheld - Weighs just 1. 5kg in handheld mode, for effortless cleaning inside your car and around your home. Customer Service Number 0344 499 5599
- Cordless Power - 22 Volt Lithium battery pack runs for up to 40 minutes non-stop as a handheld, 25 minutes on floors and 12 minutes in turbo mode, with no annoying cables getting in the way
- Agility - Hoover Flat &Drive nozzle reclines flat and swivels 180 degrees, gliding under your sofa or around table legs with ease
- Accessories Included - Dusting / Crevice / Upholstery Tools, Wall Mount, Battery Pack, Charger Plug
Morphy Richards Supervac 2-in-1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
The Morthy Richards Supervac 2 in 1 is a cordless vacuum cleaner for a tight budget, it is very lightweight and can be stored very conveniently with its compact bending and storing ability. The real benefit of this light weight vacuum cleaner is the impressive 50 minute runtime on a full charge, the good thing about this hoover is it balances power with suction to a point where it allows you to get the most time out of the unit before the battery needs to be recharged, it also converts completely from an upright vacuum into a fully functioning handheld version.
This vacuum has all the bells and whistles and at a very competitive price range but as mentioned above, it does balance suction power so this vacuum cleaner is not going to have the same cleaning ability as one of the more expensive vacuums listed previously.
Even though looking for lightweight vacuum cleaners for the elderly is important to keep in mind, this vacuum also has a really nice little feature, it has a spotlight built into the brush so it illuminates the floor as you vacuum which enables you to see the floor nicely at any time of the day, another benefit is that this vacuum is very quiet.
The Morphy Richards Supervac 2 in 1 has a weight of 2.68 kilograms (kg)
- 2 in 1 flexibility – use in upright or handheld mode
- 21.6V Li-ion battery for powerful performance
- Dual Power switch – up to 50 minutes of cleaning time
- Illuminated Floor head for cleaning hard to see areas
Tineco A10 Hero Vacuum Cleaner Cordless, 2-in-1 Handheld Stick Vacuum
This Tineco A10 Hero vacuum cleaner has been compared to the Dyson V10/V11, it has been mentioned that the Tineco surpasses the Dyson at a fraction of the cost, with its 25 minute use time on a fully charged battery and its many attachments which converts from an upright stick to a handheld without loss of power, it has everything you would need from a cordless lightweight vacuum cleaner, not many people may have heard of this brand but its an underdog and shouldn’t be dismissed as an option, there have been many reviews stating this is a powerful vacuum that can keep up with any well known brand.
With a weight of 2.28 kilograms (kg) this is one of the lightest vacuum cleaners any elderly person would find easy to use.
- 【Powerful Suction】350W Brushless motor provides ultra-quiet powerful suction, lift embedded dirt with ease. 2000mAh Detachable Lithium battery delivers up to 10-25 mins of uninterrupted cleaning experience.
- 【Portable】 Enjoy the cordless conveniences, allowing to move freely and unhindered
- 【Lightweight】Lightweight main body (2.87 lbs) easily converts to a handheld, meeting you floor-to-ceiling cleaning needs
- 【4 Stages Fully-sealed Filtration System】Captures the particles ejected while cleaning, locks in small particles without leakage and expels cleaner, fresher air for your family
Lightweight vacuums for the elderly don’t have to be cordless…
The Difference between cordless and corded vacuums?
Well, to be totally honest with you, it makes sense to buy a cordless vacuum nowadays for home cleaning and even more so for the elderly as there are no cords, nothing to be tied down to, no tripping over power cords… this makes it more of a safe environment while you are vacuuming your home nonetheless, this does not mean a corded vacuum could not be the right fit for you or an elderly relative you’re wanting to purchase one for, with this being said, we have 4 remaining vacuums to show off which are all corded.
Shark Lift-Away Upright Vacuum Cleaner – NV602UK
Here is a solid pick for a light weight upright vacuum, the Shark Lift Away vacuum cleaner (model NV602UK) As we mentioned before, this vacuum is corded so there’s no runtime limitation here… The good thing about this model is that it begins as an upright vacuum cleaner but it converts seamlessly into a cylinder vacuum for staircases AND also a handheld for hoovering your car or quick spot cleaning around the home, We have not come across a vacuum which is so versatile before with so many different variants available to you to choose from.
As this is a corded hoover, there isn’t any worry to charge the battery… you just plug it in when you want to vacuum which is convenient and it has two power modes available, it comes with an 8 (eight) metre power cord, this is generally just about the minimum length that we would recommend to anyone so it fits within our criteria.
The design of this vacuum cleaner is flawless, build quality is very good which is what you would expect from Shark, the only thing we advise is to make sure that you have the correct power setting set before you switch the vacuum on, there are two settings primarily for carpet and hard floors, make sure this is set prior to turning on your vacuum and you should be good to clean!
There are compromises when looking at battery powered and corded vacuums, in this case, the Shark Lift-Away Upright Vacuum Cleaner weighs in at 6.2 kilograms (kg) but bare in mind, this is an upright corded vacuum cleaner.
- Powerful corded upright vacuum cleaner
- Lift-Away Technology - Go portable to easily clean stairs and soft furnishings
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal - Captures and traps 99.9 Percent of dust and allergens
- Includes multi-surface Tool and Crevice Toolarcpet and Hard Floor modes. 8 m power cord
Shark Corded Stick Vacuum Cleaner HV390UK
The Shark corded stick vacuum cleaner (model HV390UK) is probably the best in between unit which sits in the middle of a cordless battery powered vacuum and a more robust corded version… it features a DUOClean technology which allows the user to switch between carpet and hard floors without any need of changing brushes or settings which means you can vacuum your entire home and glide on any type of surface effortlessly.
This model also includes the illuminated LED light on the brush so you can see the floor clearly just in case you miss any dirt or dust build up in low lit areas of your home not to mention, the “Flexology” feature Shark has introduced, this allows the upright stick to bend to a 90 degree angle allowing the vacuum to get under hard to reach areas such as sofas or beds and any type of furniture which is very beneficial.
Shark have introduced many features that help make vacuuming much easier, this vacuum is no different, it is packed with all the features, it’s corded so again, no time limits involved and also no power issues, it comes with a 5 year manufactures guarantee as well as a 10 metre (ten metre!) cord making it easy to vacuum larger surface areas if you have big rooms in your home, this choice, if you are wanting a corded model would be a very good buy as a lightweight vacuum for the elderly for sure.
The Shark – HV390UK weighs in at a mere 4.9 kilograms (kg) which is quite amazing considering it is a corded upright vacuum.
- Carpets and hard floors: DuoClean glides across all floors, cleaning without stopping
- Flexology: Flexible wand bends to clean hard-to-reach places and folds for compact storage
- LED headlights illuminate concealed dust in dark areas and under furniture
- Converts to handheld vacuum; extra-long 10 m cord
Dibea Stick Vacuum Cleaner 2 in 1 Corded Upright and Handheld Vacuum
Before we reviewed this vacuum, we were not aware of the Dibea brand name however, we were pleasantly surprised with the build quality and design of this model. This vacuum excels mostly on hard floor surfaces, hard wood, marble, concrete and any type of hard floors, not to say it doesn’t do well on carpet because it does so don’t despair! This vacuum costs much less than all the other models we have gone through so far and for this reason, we are looking at this with a ‘you get what you pay for’ mentality which does not mean it’s terrible because everything is relative right?
Dibea take particular attention to the filtration system and user adjustments in mind with their hoovers, so much so, it has 5 user set height settings for the handle and a multi layered HEPA filtering system inbuilt and a 1 litre dust collection bin.
It has a 6 metre retractable power cord which isn’t the best length but suitable for smaller houses or apartment/flats and a 600 watt power consumption meaning the motor inside this unit has less power which is also less than the others mentioned but as I said, this is a ‘you get what you pay for’ scenario and considering the price of this vacuum, these disadvantages should be a mere speck compared to the price paid for it, it also converts into a convenient handheld version of itself so you can go from a stick upright to a handheld for hoovering your stairs within seconds, This vacuum is very much a lightweight and compact vacuum cleaner and should serve any elderly person well for many years.
The Dibea stick vacuum 2 in 1 cleaner weight is 2.84 kilograms (kg) which is very impressive, in the same region as the lightest handheld vacuum cleaners which definitely in terms of weight makes Dibea manufacturer, One the best lightweight vacuum cleaners for the elderly and shouldn’t be overlooked.
- 【Upgraded Brushless Motor&Quiet Cleaning】Dibea corless vacuum cleaner features a brushless motor provide Max 20000Pa powerful suction.ensuring that dust, debris, hair, etc. can be picked up quickly.2 suction modes can be freely choose as...
- 【Long-lasting&Replaceable Battery】Large capacity 2200mAh battery provides rechargeable vacuum cleaner with long-lasting battery life up to 45 mins in normal mode and 25 mins in enhanced mode.The handheld with battery is removable and can be replaced.
- 【Advanced Cyclonic Filtration System】With washable&high-density HEPA, 4-stage fully sealed cyclone filtration system can captures 99.99% of dust and bacteria. Cyclone technology allows larger debris to directly fall into dust cup without passing...
- 【Tedious Housework Becomes Easier】2 roller brushes and the electric turbo motorized floor brush is equipped with an independent motor to take good care of dust, crumbs and hair on both floor and carpet perfectly. With LED headlight,4-in-1 design,very...
Shark Upright Vacuum Cleaner Lift-Away with Anti Hair Wrap Technology – NZ801UK
The Shark upright lift away vacuum cleaner was already mentioned in this article but this unit (model NZ801UK) is an upgraded version for pet owners, this has all the same features as the NV601UK model but has additional brushes and attachments which make it a lot easier to hoover up unwanted pet hair.
Features include, the DuoClean technology to effortlessly hoover from hard floors to carpets automatically with no setting changes and an Anti Hair Wrap system in place that automatically unravels any hair build up on the brush/bristles which makes it very easy maintenance, you would know that cleaning a vacuum brush which has ravelled hair build up is very tedious but with this Anti Hair Wrap technology in place, this keeps the brush hair free so no loss of suction occurs.
It also has the LED “brush headlamp” technology that makes it easy to see the floor or surface you are vacuuming to make sure you have cleaned the entire area, this is also a well known Shark feature they build into their vacuums which is very nice to have, you could vacuum in the dark! Not that you would want to do this but you could… It also transforms into a cylinder type vacuum making it easier to vacuum your stairs or on the go hoovering anywhere which makes these a fantastic lightweight vacuum cleaners for the elderly which ever way you look at it… remember it is also corded with an 8 metre length.
As this vacuum is very well built and quite robust, it is slightly heavier than most, it weighs in around the 10 kilogram (kg) mark, which might be a little heavy for older, elderly people.
- DuoClean floor head glides from carpets to hard floors
- Anti Hair Wrap actively removes hair from the bristle brush-roll
- Transform into a portable vacuum to easily clean stairs, surfaces and under furniture
- Suitable for pet owners, easily remove embedded pet hair from sofas and stairs
We have provided and reviewed an ample amount of vacuum cleaners that will make everyone’s life a lot easier, without having to break the bank or give you a bad back in the process, even though we have made this article for the benefit of the older generation, you can still definitely take our choices if you suffer from back pain or if you’re looking for a lighter weight vacuum cleaner to replace your bulky, heavy upright. Ultimately, the choice is yours but all of these vacuum cleaners will make easy work when cleaning your house.